Friday, August 22, 2014

Navy discharges black sailor for refusing to cut off her natural hair

This week, the U.S Navy announced that it was discharging Jessica Sims, an Africa American woman who has been a sailor for 12-years, for “failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle.” 
The military has been under scrutiny for guidelines issued in March that critics believe were discriminatory toward African-American women. Those regulations “specifically forbid several hairstyles popular for black women who keep their hair natural, including twists, headbands, dreadlocks, or multiple braids that are larger than a quarter-inch.” A former U.S. Army Major, sharply criticized the regulations, noting they targeted “natural styles African American service women have been wearing for years.” Continue..
Sims had been wearing her hair in the same way since 2005, without any apparent issues.

In response to the criticism, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel ordered the regulations to be relaxed earlier this month to “allow female service members to have a wider range of hairstyles.” But the Navy found that Sims hair still violated their guidelines.

Sims rejected repeated calls from the Navy to change her hair style, saying “I don’t think I should be told that I have to straighten my hair in order to be within what they think the regulations are, and I don’t think I should have to cover it up with a wig.”

The Navy said her hairstyle made it difficult for her to wear a gas mask. Sims said that her hair conformed to regulations requiring it protrude less than two inches from her head and that she “never had a problem wearing safety helmets or gas masks.”

After her discharge, Sims had no regrets: “I still stand by it. I would do it again if I had to.”

Source: Think Progess 

Ondo State governor, Mimiko, decamps from Labour Party to PDP


Ondo state governor, Olusegun Mimiko is the latest politician to decamp from his party to the ruling party. The PDP is Ondo state today August 22nd confirmed that the governor has now joined their party, decamping from the Labour Party. The governor made his defection known to his cabinet members and close political associates at a meeting held at the government house in Akure the state capital. Mimiko came into power on the platform of the Labour Party.

Wickedness!! Nigerian Girl Drugged And Molest by A Man She Met On Facebook

She met the man on Facebook and both arranged for a friendly date after one month of lovely inbox messages. The man picked her up in a Range rover car and drove to upmarket westlands for a drink. She decided to have red bull since that was their first time of meeting and didn’t want to leave a bad impression.

During their date, she excused herself and went to the loo, that was when the man drugged the red bull she was drinking.

The girl only remembers being drowsy and someone dragging her to the car. She was half awake but still weak when the man together with other assailants defiled her repeatedly. She lost count of the number of times she was defiled.

She only came back to her senses when good samaritans found her in Umoja 2, Kenya in a very bad state.

The girl said her v**ina was sore and couldn’t walk properly.

She warns females to be very careful about the male friends they meet on Facebook as not all of them have good intentions.

OAP Toolz talks about the time a guy she liked broke her heart

In a recent interview with Entertainment Express, radio personality Toolz talked about the time a guy she liked told her he wasn't interested in pursuing a relationship with her. What she said below...
"There was this guy I met during my final year at the University. He had just moved from Houston and didn't know a lot of people in London and after a few random conversation about course work, he asked me out. Our first date was amazing and after about a month of seeing each other a few times a week, I was almost certain he was "the one". After dancing around the issue for a week or two, I was finally brave enough to bring up the "where are we" issue. His exact words were "I really like you Tolu, but I'm not looking for a relationship right now". I had to take a moment to mentally pick up the fragments of my broken heart, then I smiled at him and said "No worries, it's okay"
What is the biggest lesson you have learnt from heartbreaks?
"I did learn a valuable lesson from this. One of the worst things you can do in life is to lie to yourself and potentially rob yourself of what you truly deserve. Whether it be a relationship, a job, whatever situation it is, do your best to be honest with yourself. If a situation isn't giving you what you need, don't fool yourself. Have enough self respect to say " I am not getting what I want from this situation and I honestly won't be able to settle" she said

Spouses of two dead Nigerian Ebola victims test positive - Health Minister

Minister of Health Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu announced today August 22nd that Nigeria has recorded two new cases of the Ebola disease.

The Minister said the two new cases are spouses of dead Ebola victims who had primary contact with late Patrick Sawyer, the man who brought Ebola to Nigeria. Prof. Chukwu said the two new cases are the first secondary contacts in isolation to test positive to the deadly virus.

This brings the total number of cases in Nigeria to 14, with 5 deaths and 5 survivors.

Wow!! Meet The 3 Days Old Nigerian Baby That Feeds Herself

Single mum, 20yrs old Onyi Chiedozie is amazed by the exceptional ability of her daughter who is just 3-day-old. The little girl surprisingly grabbed her feeding bottle while Onyi was feeding her and to the surprise of those present, she held on to the bottle and continue to feed herself. 

Even the Doctors at the Queen's Hospital in Romford, Essex, where she was delivered are shocked.
                                          

Ebola Scare: Woman dies in Ekiti after 4 hospitals rejected her

Ekiti State Government has debunked rumours of an outbreak of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, in the state .This came as the government lamented the unfortunate death of a woman, who was said to have vomited and collapsed in premises of the State Ministry of Health and was rejected in four different private hospitals because of the text messages circulated by some unidentified people suspected to be in the Healthcare sector that tagged her ebola patient.

At a briefing, Commissioner for Health, Professor Olusola Fasubaa said....

On 20th August,2014, a 55-year-old health care worker at Ogotun- Ekiti, who was said not to have had any complaints of illness in the last two months and no current history of travel outside the state (according to her neighbours) got to the Data Bank of the Ministry of Health at about 1.pm and collapsed after coughing out blood and subsequently vomited and she was immediately tagged Ebola victim without an adequate history taken and people started running away.
“The woman subsequently died in the late evening. The unnecessary write-up through the social media by some doctors in the state is uncalled for, and counter-productive to the efforts of the state government in containing and curtailing the spread of the virus.”

He also said a similar case at the NYSC Orientation camp in Ise Ekiti where a young man who had been inadequately treated for malaria collapsed and was abandoned by everybody including the camp’s healthcare givers from 6am to 3pm when the state government intervened.

Prof Fasubaa appealed to doctors in the state to live up to their responsibilities and remember the Hippocratic oath they swore to. He stressed that not all patients that have fever or vomiting have Ebola.

Vanguard

Ebola:Patrick Sawyer's widow apologises to Nigerians,regrets Dr Adadevoh's death

Patrick Sawyer's widow,Decontee has reacted to the death of Dr Stella Adadevoh who died after trying to treat Mr.Sawyer.She has also apologised for offending Nigerians with her open letter which claimed her husband came here because he needed  medical help. She told Leadership.ng

“I share the pains that the family members of the Nigerian doctor are going through. It is just a pity that Patrick had to cause this damage both in Liberia and Nigeria......
“I want to reach out to them and express how deeply saddened and sorry I am for their loss and their pain. I do apologise if my words have cost anyone who is grieving more pain. I fall on my knees and ask God for his healing power for all of those who are still infected with Ebola. I pray for all of the families whose loved ones were taken away by this merciless killer Ebola, especially those affected by Patrick’s actions.
Ebola didn’t start with Patrick in Liberia, as we both know. Ebola was in Liberia from a traveller from Guinea since February of this year. The government knew about it and did nothing. Many Liberians, including me, called out to the government then to close the borders. They didn’t do so until one of their own, Patrick (Sawyer), died in July. Many people died before Patrick and their lives were just as important. That is my frustration. Ebola didn’t have to go to Nigeria, Africa’s most populated country, had the Liberian government taken drastic actions sooner. I, too, have family members and friends in Nigeria, and now they are at risk because of Patrick’s actions.
In spite of my anger and disappointment with him, I don’t believe that he did this with evil intent (I could be wrong). I believe his actions were that of a desperate man. And sad for everyone involved, Nigeria was closer than the U.S. This is just my take on what he could have been thinking (of course, I could be wrong).
My regret is that I was so caught up in my own pain and frustration, that I neglected to see the pain of the innocent people both in Liberia and Nigeria who are affected by Patrick’s actions. For that, I am deeply sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was to cause them pain. It is a pain I know. It is a pain I don’t want them to have.”“Going to Nigeria was one of them. His act was one of a desperate man. Many Nigerians and Liberians are affected because of that act of desperation,”

Photo: Woman previously released for masquerading as fake soldier caught again

A woman who was arrested initially for being a fake soldier has been rearrested again . According to Sahara reporters ,

Jemila Suleiman, who had been using the pseudonym Angela Tonye Omieh had been previously arrested on the 17th of April 2014, whilst dressed in complete military regalia and attempting to pass through a military check point in Akure, capital of Ondo State. After her initial arrest, Suleiman disappeared from authorities after being granted bail by a judge on grounds of supporting her family.

She was re-arrested on Wednesday as she attempted to pass through the Igbara-Oke military checkpoint in Ifedore Local Government Area.The interrogation had also revealed that she had purchased her new military uniforms at Kantagora market in Abule Egba, Lagos State.

At the press briefing Suleiman also informed journalists, “I [had] to go back to [this] again because that is where I see the money to taking care of my family. I travelled around with the uniform to get favor and goods in the country.”

 
Design by Excel VacancyNigerians