It was her second stealing incident in one year. In February 2013, the actress was involved in a home break-in incident in the Shomolu area of Lagos for which she was allegedly arrested, prosecuted and remanded at the Kirikiri Maximum Prison for six months. Just two months after she was released, she was caught stealing again. But Yetunde says she’s not a Kleptomaniac, that her problem is spiritual.
She said ‘There is nothing like that. When I heard that rumor, I called all my bosses, and they said there was nothing like that. So it’s just a rumor. People are only interested in fueling issues because of my situation. Nobody banned me from acting”.“I am not a thief. I didn’t steal anything. I dont know what is happening to me. I have every reason to believe my problem is spiritual. I can’t even explain the circumstance I found myself. People should not ruin my life and career. I am fed up with life. I am not what people think I am. I have never been to Kirikiri Maximum Prison as alleged. God please help me out of this mess! As I am speaking with you now, I am in Ibadan, Oyo state seeking the face of God and I believe I would get out of this dilemma one day. I am not a kleptomaniac. I have not stolen anything” she told Encoimum magazine. Continue..Yetunde was also rumored to have been banned from the Odunfa Caucus of the Yoruba Movie Industry, an allegation she refuted stating she had called her bosses and they said such a decision was never taken.
Reacting to the ban allegation, Yomi Fabiyi who is a member of the Odunfa caucus spoke on behalf of the group.
“My opinion is that the association has procedures. With the report highlighted on social media, it looked half baked. To me, half truth is worse than a lie. I want to believe if she was caught with stolen items, the items must have been stated. She said they found her with four keys and nothing suggest the keys fit into any of the doors there. The association would even have to investigate the matter, especially when the reporter seem to be filing his report on a third party account. If there was any ban whatsoever, where is the proof? Then who banned her from acting? The association does not condone crime in any form and will act on authentic information. So Yetunde Akilapa to me has not been banned, But that will be investigated if necessary” Fabiyi told Encomium magazine
Counsel to Yetunde Akilapa, Barrister Bosun Osifowora released a statement on the issues about Yetunde’s theft story, her alleged Kirikiri prison detention as well as her ban from the Odunfa Caucus of the Yoruba Movie Industry. His statement reads:
“We write to expressly correct the impression that Yetunde Akilapa has been banned or suspended. She has not received verbal or written notice to that effect. Yetunde is sorry and remorseful that her name is involved in such things. She has very much regard for the industry and Odunfa Caucus, more reason she fights hard to always clear her name. It is ridiculous to suggest she wil be expelled when it is abundantly cleared that she has been cleared of any wrong doing but needs physical and spiritual help. There is no dignity fighting someone on the floor.
We also like to correct the following impressions:
* Yetunde was never in Kirikiri prisons during the first case. The matter was charged to court and bail application was granted and condition met same day which the media was aware of. The case lasted three months and she attended court from home, not from custody.
* There was nothing like master key and on no account did the police say the keys found on her were compared to the key hole of the rooms in the hosue and it opened. Why are journalist feeding people with stories so untrue? They were her keys, just four pieces.
* On this second case, whoever broke the news lied. Yetunde was never accused of stealing. The accuser suspects she may have been sent to drop some fetish substance. Must lies sell stories?
* The case got a twist when in an effort to prove her innocence of diabolical intentions, she confidently stated she is a budding actress. One of the guys googled her name and found the previous story, hit her in a swift reaction, hence she fainted. The guy has since apologized.
* It was on this note that the police was informed and the matter was settled and it was abundantly clear her accusers were also at fault. One thing now led to another until it dawned on her, after public accusation she began to realize she is in the wrong place.
* We are all Africans, efforts are in top gear to find a lasting solution to this menace. She needs your prayers, not your persecution now.